Skip to main content
It looks like you're using Internet Explorer 11 or older. This website works best with modern browsers such as the latest versions of Chrome, Firefox, Safari, and Edge. If you continue with this browser, you may see unexpected results.
Begin Your Research Here
Begin your research here.
Recommended number of keywords: 1-2
Search the HACC catalog for books
eBooks on EBSCOhost
eBook collection covering a wide range of subjects.
Collection of encyclopedias, dictionaries and handbooks covering a variety of subject areas.
A selection of fiction and nonfiction ebooks and audio books to check out for use on your computer, mobile phone, tablet, or eReader.
Try combining one of the words on the left with a word on the right.
Social Media Addiction
Choose simple but clear keywords and connect them with boolean language (AND, OR, NOT)
||Searches for places where both keywords appear together
||Searches for either of the keywords. They might be together or they might not.
||Searches for places where the first keyword appears without the second.
- Stress AND College
- Emotional Intelligence AND Student Success
Using the Library of Congress Call Number System
Here are a few basic principles to help you understand how to use the call number to find a book on the shelf:
- Letters are always alphabetical by the first letter, then the second letter.
- When it comes to letters, nothing comes before something. This means that call numbers starting with D come before DA, DB, and DC
- Numbers before the decimal (typically the first line) are "whole" numbers, meaning that DA397 is read as "D A Three hundred and ninety-seven" and comes after DA396 and before DA398.
- Any numbers after the decimal are read as being in the tenths, hundredths, and thousandths place. This means that DA397.S3876 could come immediately before DA397.S4
- Decimals that do not have a letter are part of the first line and come after the call numbers without decimals. This means that DA397.S3876 is before DA397.28 S3876
This table shows how the call number is displayed both on the spine of the book as well as how it is arranged on the shelf.
|Order on Shelf
|Second Line (post-decimal)
|Last Line (Year)