Research Paper: This must be typed, double-spaced in Times-New Roman 12-point font, and at least 7-10 pages in length (not including the cover page and reference page). Papers should include a title page and should be stapled. You do not need an abstract. You will discuss a disorder that is listed in the DSM-5 including its characteristics, factors that cause it, diagnostic criteria, and treatment options. You must have at least 7 journal references included on a separate “References” page. Use APA format for references:
Mellers, C. A. (2000). Choice and the relative pleasure of consequences. Psychological Bulletin, 126, 910-924.
Use the questions below to guide your research/writing:
- What is the history of the disorder? Include a brief summary. Has the name changed over the years?
- What causes the disorder (biology, cognitive, behavioral, religious, or sociocultural factors) and how does it happen? What are the symptoms (don’t have to list them all)?
- What information is published in the discipline of psychology or psychiatry on the treatment of your disorder in the last ten years? Use a psychological database (PsychINFO, Proquest, etc.) to locate relevant articles that focus on treatment.
- Are medications being used to treat your disorder? If so, which ones are used currently and most frequently?
- Are there any non-traditional methods (e.g. nutritional, spiritual, etc.) available to treat your disorder?
- Where would someone go for in-patient (hospital) treatment. (Is this private or public?) Does your disorder usually lead to hospitalization?
- Is there a national treatment facility for your disorder or a "best place to go" for treatment? If not, what is a typical course of action for someone with your disorder?
- Where would you go for outpatient treatment in your county of residence? Public or private?
- How would you go about locating a mental health professional to treat your disorder? Do any licensed mental health professionals (psychiatrists, psychologists, MFT'S, LCSW'S) advertise treatment services for your disorder?
- Compare and contrast two different approaches to treating this disorder (use any of the above resources, class notes, and the textbook to support your ideas)
You must attach a copy of the first page of each article or book you used to write your paper. Make a copy of just the first page (not the whole article/book) and attach it at the end of the paper. Each article/book listed on your reference page must be cited in parentheses in the body of your paper.
- Quotes may not exceed 40 words…use your own words to say what you mean. Maximum of 2 quotes in the paper. Beware of plagiarism, cite your sources.
- “Cut and Paste” is NOT PERMITTED. If you use a Citation Maker, you will still be held responsible for proper APA format (sometimes the citation machines are incorrect).
- There is an example paper on Electronic Reserves. Also, use the Online Writing Lab from Purdue University as a guide for APA format on how to present the paper and your references. Your textbook is written in APA format and also uses it for the references (except that we do not use bold type in a reference).
- Please see your instructor if you have any questions.
- Get a head start on this assignment because it cannot be done well in one weekend.
- Papers with “cut and paste” or blatant plagiarism will not be graded. You will fail the assignment and the course. This is your only warning.
- Put your name on the title page ONLY.