Skip to Main Content
It looks like you're using Internet Explorer 11 or older. This website works best with modern browsers such as the latest versions of Chrome, Firefox, Safari, and Edge. If you continue with this browser, you may see unexpected results.

HACC Library - Copyright Information

Using Media - Public Performance

media & copyright cloud image

Copyright as it relates to public performance rights

If HACC has not purchased the public performance rights when it acquired the media, a copyrighted work may not be shown to groups of students or staff unless it meets the criteria which define a “face-to-face teaching” exemption to copyright law. This exemption allows for legally reproduced work to be used only:

  • in a classroom or similar place devoted to instruction, and
  • in the course of face-to-face teaching activities of a nonprofit educational institution, and
  • as long as there is no direct or indirect admission charge, and
  • if it is a regular part of the instructional activities, and if it is directly related to the teaching content

§ 110. Limitations on exclusive rights: Exemption of certain performances and displays

American Library Association - Performance of or Showing Films in the Classroom

In order to know which uses of audiovisual materials are permitted and prohibited by the Copyright Act, educators need to understand two key terms: performance and display.

Free Feature Films, Documentaries and More

Free video collections online. Documentaries, educational films, films of historical interest, music videos, video art and more.